> is this actually data supported? did we notice a measurable increase
> in user contributions from Argentina, or a better community
> engagement?

There are probably others who can go into more detail, but the momentum of
having the SOTM in South America probably helped build the talk-latam
mailing list (to unite the often tiny national mailing lists) and supported
the Mapazonia project. And the first two SOTM Latam were conceived at the
very SOTM Buenos Aires conference itself. So I think when it comes to
community building, it definitely helped.