Hi

Some big dream community stuff could  be great at SOTM and for OSM. Pardon
me if this is done already. Ive attended some workshops & birds of a
feather events on this at SOTM -US on this topic plus been reading for a
few years and attending local events when I can)

Some ideas

Stages

BEFORE, Collect Data
do a digital network map of all the interests of mappers (common tags) and
location (eg. Helipads and railways; Togo and Japan) Martin Dittus did this
for missing maps, Mark Graham just did this for wikipedia.

Have a strong think on how OSM can grow. Look at how communities grow in
open source allies : mozilla, ubuntu, wikipedia. Compare the OSM community
needs on how they wish to grow. Take a look at global community thinking
http://www.communityroundtable.com/research/community-maturity-model/

During

Host an interactive first roadmap session on how to keep organically
growing OSM while being super realistic on what are some of the
gaps/hurdles/opportunity. Plan working group activities to shine globally
tied to and supporting the local OSMer with some resources and love (very
lightweight)
(See aspirationtech.org for details on how to.)

After
Keep working on this digitally to get more people involved and improve it.
Checkin at SOTM and online to see if this works for you.

One thing that I will say is that I love this community's efforts and
volunteer within HOT. I see these small things as potential productive next
steps. OSM has natural leaders but no formal program to support their
growth like Ubuntu or Mozilla. Ive attended the Community Leadership Summit
at OSCON and met many leaders from Mongo to Red Hat to Libre Office. This
is their top priority to support participation,learning, growth and
diversity. My time has been very hard because my skills that are voluntary
gifted are sometimes viewed as less important or deemed as not valuable
enough to be a leader. This is very disheartening because open source
thrives when communities are strong with many diverse skilled people and
plans to thank/mentor people. Yes, OSM can be a Starfish and Spider (yess
this book) but a little plan to go with organic grow might help many thrive.

Thanks for reading

Heather

On 2 Dec 2015 16:26, "Steve Coast" <st...@asklater.com> wrote:

> I’ve heard from a few people thinking of organizing an OpenStreetMap
conference focused on the community, very different from what SOTM has
become.