On 14/12/15 00:04, Mike N wrote:
On 12/13/2015 6:47 PM, Jorge Gustavo Rocha wrote:
ii) Nominatim can search only within a bounding box. You can get the map
extent and append to the nominatim query (viewboxlbrt parameter).

   Why does the default OSM search box include the world instead of the
viewport?  Is it because no one has submitted a pull request or is there
some other reason?

It does both. The viewport (actually the viewport extended to twice the visible size) is considered first and then the rest of the world.

At least that is what I understand is supposed to happen - we definitely pass the viewport:

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/blob/master/app/controllers/geocoder_controller.rb#L144

Sarah can probably say more about what happens at the Nominatim end, but my understanding it that it takes the viewbox parameter and prioritises results in twice that area.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (t...@compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/