Hi,

When searching in openstreetmap.org, two requests are performed. These requests are handled on the server side:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/geocoder/search_osm_nominatim?query=Rua+Dom+Jorge&xhr=1&zoom=18&minlon=-8.404905796051025&minlat=41.54643215639179&maxlon=-8.40179979801178&maxlat=41.55020598611987

http://www.openstreetmap.org/geocoder/search_geonames?query=Rua+Dom+Jorge&xhr=1&zoom=18&minlon=-8.404905796051025&minlat=41.54643215639179&maxlon=-8.40179979801178&maxlat=41.55020598611987

The view bounding box is passed to the server side, as Tom said.

The results shown on openstreetmap.org are not constrained to the bounding box. But nominatim can constrain the results to a giving bounding box.

Example:

i) searching on openstreetmap.org:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/search?query=farmacia#map=16/40.5754/-8.4412
gives me results for the entire world.

ii) searching directly on nominatim:
http://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/search?format=json&bounded=1&viewboxlbrt=-8.559,40.495,-8.245,40.695&q=farmacia
gives me just results from my neighbourhood.

Regards,

J. Gustavo