On 28 January 2016 at 20:16, David Marchal <pene...@live.fr> wrote:
> On a GitHub issue
> (https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/2027#issuecomment-174443685),
> I've been told that Wiki tagging votes are only advisory and that the
> community is only invited, neither required nor recommended, to follow them.
> As I understand this comment, the community MAY follow the Wiki tagging or
> votes, it does not SHOULD nor MUST follow them. I was under the impression
> that the community at least SHOULD apply the votes results, MUST looking
> unenforceable due to the free tagging principle. Am I wrong on that? What is
> the applicability of the Wiki content?

I don't think this has ever been formally decided.

Personally I am of the opinion that the editor software, and to a
lesser extent the main data consumer software such as
openstreetmap-carto, has way to much power over tagging standards. I
would be in favour of giving more power to the community, and I think
editor/data consumer software should be encouraged to follow the
standards agreed by the community.

Often the counterargument is given that only a handful of people vote
on proposals, but I don't think that's a good argument. Everybody
*can* join in the discussion and the votes if they want to. Apparently
the people who don't are not interested, or perhaps they trust the
regular crowd to make decisions for them. Having the power only in the
hands of the few people that control the major editors and renderers
is no good idea, in my opinion. I therefore think that we as a
community should ask that everybody involved SHOULD follow the voting
results.

-- Matthijs