On 28/01/16 19:16, David Marchal wrote:
Hello, there.

On a GitHub issue (https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/2027#issuecomment-174443685), I've been told that Wiki tagging votes are only advisory and that the community is only invited, neither required nor recommended, to follow them. As I understand this comment, the community MAY follow the Wiki tagging or votes, it does not SHOULD nor MUST follow them. I was under the impression that the community at least SHOULD apply the votes results, MUST looking unenforceable due to the free tagging principle. Am I wrong on that? What is the applicability of the Wiki content?

Hoping my question isn't too trivial,

I'd say you might be a bit back-to-front. To me, the wiki works best as a way to document the tags that get used in OSM, so people can see the way tags get used for the object they have in mind. So the wiki doesn't fit the 'SHOULD-follow' bill. OSM is a representation of the weird, mixed-up, contradictory world as seen by people with a hugely diverse way of looking at it. The OSM needs to reflect that, proscriptive wiki pages do not reflect that.

The tagging list is a great example of this diversity. Lots of tags get discussed there, but very few firm decisions ever come about, simply because real-world examples keep throwing up differences, so tagging needs to be able to reflect these.

Taginfo is a useful tool for looking at the diversity in OSM. Some people look at the the diversity of tagging and see an opportunity to harmonise to a single value: x. What TagInfo actually shows is that there are many uses of the key and that x is not the only way to use the tag, so why should they all be forced to be the same?

This diversity of tagging is often quoted as a problem for data consumers. Oddly, this is often by people who don't actually use the data but feel it must be awkward. Actually it's not. All OSM data has to processed before use. This processing can be fairly straightforward or really complex, but that's not much to do with tagging diversity. Whatever the processing is (LUA code, SQL code or any other coding) it only has to written once and can be used over and over again.

The wiki has its place, but it is certainly not the Oracle which holds all the OSM truth.

--
Cheers, Chris (chillly)