Hi,

> I'm not sure if Geopackage has significant performance improvements over
> simple Spatialite but if it hasn't then my recommendation for simple GIS
> processing is certainly to stick with shape files for the time being -
> despite all their shortcomings.

Shapefiles, Spatialite and GeoPackage all use R-tree indexes.
I never heard about performance advantages of Shapefiles (except a bug
in a former Spatialite driver).
Can you tell me a use case? Which Spatialite SW are you using?

What people need to realize is, that Shapefiles really have issues:
1. Attribute name length restricted to 10 chars => resulting in
information loss.
2. Strings length restricted to 255 chars => resulting in information loss.
3. No Multi LineString/Multi Polygon => resulting in information loss.
4. Max. file size restricted to 2GB => resulting in splitting tables
into several files.
5. Several cluttered files => makes users forget to include all.

:Stefan