Depending on the territory you can have rights in marks that you have
not registered and it is probably completely undisputed that OSM is
associated as strongly as OpenStreetMap with the project.

Why is using it in a domain name etc problematic: for the same reasons
as using any other mark is. Just ask Richard about OsmAnd.

Simon

PS: there is a list on the wiki of our successfully registered
trademarks that we keep reasonably up to date.