Probably it's too late for OsmAnd and it has to be grandfathered by now.

I suppose Richard's question is more "how you would formulate a policy
that would have permitted osmosis and osmium but not OsmAnd, if said
projects were to be created with the policy already in place". In
other words, how to prevent *future* OsmAnd-like naming situations.

--
Nicolás