Actually area=yes in Africa isn't that bad.  In JOSM I quite often come
across a settlement with thirty buildings drawn but not tagged and its a
lot faster to select the area, validate it then add tags to thirty
buildings at once rather than map thirty buildings.  You do need to check
them visually but it is still fairly quick and easy to do.

Cheerio John