Hi,

On 31.10.2017 14:50, Pierre Béland wrote:
> I suggest to transform this to an «Awesome OSM Geoweek» with focus on
> the quality of edits, quality of leadership, of coaching of new
> contributors.

Yes, but we must be careful to explain what "quality" means to us.

For example, if someone traces a house, and they trace the roof and not
the footprint, and they just add building=yes instead of something more
specific, and they don't make it rectangular even if they are tracing in
an area where you can assume all buildings to be rectangular ... that is
in my opinion still a valuable contribution (on which they can improve
later if they stay with us and learn).

If, on the other hand, the object isn't even tagged building=*, or if an
orchard is traced and tagged as building=yes name=Orchard, or if a
building is traced across an existing other feature, or if existing
objects are accidentally deleted, re-tagged, or nodes moved around the
country, then the edit starts to become useless or damaging.

If you create a building or a POI in JOSM today, you will be greeted
with a giant input form on which you can add more details than anyone
can possibly know.

When we say "we want quality edits" then that must not be misunderstood
as requesting perfection, all form fields filled out (can horses use
this road... hm... we don't have horses in this country but I guess in
theory...) and one-centimetre tracing precision.

So we need to find a definition for a quality edit that is achievable
for newbie mappers, yet doesn't require cleaning up after. And then we
can say to people running mapathons: "You must ensure that your
participants are in a position to make quality edits". (Individual
participants might still make non-quality edits but if the person
running the mapathon has put them in a position to make quality edits
then it's the individual's fault for choosing not to...)

Bye
Frederik