The current situation is not helping in producing useful maps. Too
often I find myself in a residential area with large gardens and trees
when I expected to find a real forest based on what OSM is displaying.

So there is room for improvement.

I like the landcover=trees idea, but this does not describe the
complete picture. I also want t be able to indicate what is between
the trees: ground, grass, grassy plants, bushes.
And when is something landcover=trees + bushes and when
landcover=bushes + some trees ?

m.