On 01-Nov-17 03:10 PM, Stephane Goldstein wrote:

On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 10:17 AM, Warin <61sundow...@gmail.com <mailto:61sundow...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    On 01-Nov-17 09:24 AM, Stephane Goldstein wrote:

        B)
        depreciate landuse=forest and introduce a clearly defined
        landuse=forestry that only includes tree areas that produce
        base material for human use.

    Managed forest for product harvesting  are commonly identified as
    Plantations,

    Possibly in your area of the world.
    But not in Australia.

I live in Tasmania, and work in forestry.
http://www.agriculture.gov.au/abares/forestsaustralia/profiles/industrial-plantations

Ha. Sorry .. one of the 'common' people here ..  'forests' is the term I come across regularly. "pine plantations" might be a goer .. but I would not use that term for hardwood forests amongst the 'common' people. I would take a 'plantation' to be a uniform row on row planting, quite a few hardwood forests are not configured this way. Thus they don't fit with my perception of a 'plantation'.

In Alabama plantations were cotton farms .. but are now houses?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_plantations_in_Alabama
Looks to be similar now in adjacent states.

Plantation is used for more than timber .. and that is a problem in that people will use it for all the other things ... just like they have used landuse=forest inappropriately.

If OSM were to have landuse=plantation there would need to be a further tag plantation=cotton/tobacco/coffee/sugar_cane/trees/banana///house/bushes/*

Do you have any other words that smean tree planting, growing and then harvesting?? And don't mean anything else?
The closest I have is 'forestry'.

    My Dictionary says plantation means;
    1) a farm or estate, especially in a tropical or sub tropical
    country, on which cotton, tabacco, coffee, sugar or the like is
    cultivated, usually by resident labours.
    2) a group of planted trees or plants
    [late ME from planting]

    which I think would be most appropriate term for landuse tag in
    that case.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantation
    <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantation>
    http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dplantation
    <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dplantation>

    Those too include things other than trees, and even with trees
    they don't exclude trees not intended for production of material
    for human use.