In my personal opinion, the database will grow and keep growing. So
instead of looking at means to make things smaller, I think we should
look at enabling even more storage. Couldn't geographical
"shards/segments" be a solution? Like, keeping a database for Europe,
Asia, North-America and so on that are glued together in a smart way,
but allow for downloading partials straight from the main databases?
And might it be smart to create a more distributed database? When I
look at the hardware, there are currently 3 database; karm, ramoth and
katla and it seems all 3 are in the UK.

Not intending to start an off topic, but this is just my opinion.

> On 21.01.18 10:04, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>

> On 21. Jan 2018, at 09:21, Oleksiy Muzalyev <oleksiy.muzal...@bluewin.ch>
> wrote:
>
> For example, Intel i7-8700K 3.7 GHz 8th generation processor consumes 95 W
> [2], add to this the fans, hard disks, etc., it comes to 400 W power supply
> unit. ....
>
> For comparison, the Raspeberry Pi 3 single-board computer requires only 10 W
> power supply [4], 40 times less.
>

> 10W? Look at this baby, the whole system is running on solar power and
> doesn’t even need external power sources:
> https://www.galeria-kaufhof.de/p/casio-taschenrechner-fx-85ms/1002764080
>
> Pricing is also very accessible.
>
> Seriously, you can’t compare a high end CPU with a raspberry pi looking only
> at the power consumption ;-)
>

> cheers,
> Martin
>
> Modern motherboards are capable to reduce the CPU power consumption to 12 W
> [1], when there are no computation intensive tasks. So improving data
> quality at the source would benefit the high end systems too.
>
> [1] https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/PRIME-Z270-A/ (Energy efficient
> design)
>
> Best regards,
>
> Oleksiy