Milo's point on database growth is actually very important, and I worry that it
might be missed.  We shouldn’t be concerned about shaving a few bytes off of
the tag values to save space, or the power consumption of different processors.

OSM needs a growth plan.

We should already have pretty solid metrics on how fast the database is
growing, and roughly when we’ll outgrow the current database architecture.  I’d
be very happy to see OSM grow by 10x, 100x, or more as we continue to map
everything the world, and we should be prepared for that.

Curious if anyone else is thinking about this?

Bryan