This discussion shows once again how great we are at generating smart
ideas. That definitely is not our problem. But all ideas are equal and will
only get executed if the one who posited them executes them. As the project
becomes more complex, that means you can either play in a corner by
yourself, or try to effect change as an individual. It also means power to
the devs and the time-rich, not to the community at large. None of which is
optimal.
We need a way to turn a thread into competing ideas, and to turn winning
ideas into actions. I'm not sure how we can do that, but I'm enthousiastic
about Bryan Housel's just-do-it project of using a github issue tracker for
that (see his position statement for the OSM-US elections [1]). I agree
with emacsen that having such things run by a single developer is probably
the worst possible solution, but I think this is a good enough idea to be
worth a shot for being organised at OSMF level.

1: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Bhousel