I fully agree that it is a problem. I encountered nasty issues after
implementing name rendering fallback with following language order
(order is simplified for this example):

name:pl, name:en, name:de, name

Intention was to render English name in China/Korea rather than
unreadable (for typical person from Poland) local name.

The result was rendering German names in Poland, because name:pl was
missing and name:de was present.

Somebody else also encountered this issue and places in Poland are
now partially fixed.

On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 10:23:19 -0700
Paul Norman <penor...@mac.com> wrote:

> preparing a mechanical edit or MapRoulette challenge

I would consider also making a quest in StreetComplete (it is on my
TODO list since a long time).

In my experience StreetComplete is working much better that
MapRoulette, though I am not sure whatever this task fits well "local
survey" model.

In case of mechanical edit - can you consider sharing script
(hopefully one working without complex environment)? I would happily run
such mechanical edit in Poland (including obtaining permission from
local community, checking whatever edits are correct and potential
cleanup of wrong edits).

Making mechanical edit is also on my TODO list since a long time, but
it never went further than vague plan and half-written explanation why
it is useful.