Adding a language=xx to each feature seems excessive, and will be forgotten
most of the time, unless there is some extensive tool support for it.
Adding it to admin regions seems like a better approach.  Some utility
could then calculate a clean translation map, using admin_level number as
the deciding factor in case of multiple values.

On a side note, a validation tool can than be used to check if "name" has
the same value as "name:xx", where xx is taken from that calculated map.
(I'm sure in many cases it won't match because some places use "lang:local
- lang:en" style of naming for the name tag.