Hi,

I would like to refer to Yves (yvecai)'s suggestion below once again:

Yes, the OSM Wiki page about Names says something about avoiding
transliteration (though currently only the wiki page in English).

But: In fact, it has a section on "Localization", which clearly
implies the usage of transliterations!
And it does say nothing to avoid pure translations
And it does not refer to WD and the WD-ID tag as a possible solution
for "international names" (exonyms)!

So, it's seems really time to update the OSM Wiki page on Names
including all translations...

Regarding the original blog post from Joe Matazzoni's Wikimedia
Foundation on "Interactive maps, now in your language", I added a
comment, asking him to update his post along following lines:

> "When the results are unsatisfactory..."

* "Add the missing names to Wikidata (not OSM) in your language".
* (... Remaining 2 bullets seem to target Wikidata anyway)
* "Add the name to OSM only after having understood how to do this:
See https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Names e.g. avoid pure
translations (exonyms) and avoid transliterations.
* "Adding Wikidata-ID to OSM is acceptable."

:Stefan