* The BIG part of the announcement is that OSM data is now being used to
create truly multilingual map with a very large exposure.  I hope some
people here are not saying that such project should not have been built? If
you want to help, see at the end.
* I do not think names should be simply copied from WD into OSM - for many
of the reasons mentioned above, plus I am not a fan of duplicate data being
out of sync.
* I do believe Kartotherian (map service used by WMF) should use Wikidata
to augment names when missing in OSM.
* The fundamental problem is that WMF refuses to do any additional maps
work. Basically there was a star tech team put together for a few months to
address overwhelming community demand for better maps, rather than spending
resources on projects that community has very little interest in.  The team
delivered some of the hot-button things, but it was dissolved to work on
other things. In other words - things that are in high demand by community
are only worked on for a short time by a small team, and then forgotten by
WMF.  "sad."
* Naming is not a local expertise. Someone in Russia would know the Russian
name for New York better than someone who actually lives in New York, but
doesn't speak the language. That said, I would think at least some
languages have a relatively well defined algorithm to transliterate foreign
names?  And only if auto-transliteration fails, or if there is an
alternative well established spelling, it should be entered into OSM/WD.
Just thinking out loud here.
* I really hope this conversation can be productive, and oriented towards
solving issues, and not an unproductive and emotional blame game. I have
helped with the maps translation project, and while I can only speak about
the engineers I spoke with, everyone there made the best efforts to bring
first truly multilingual maps to the world. Of course not all the names
data is there, and there are multiple ways to fix that. So rather than
throwing 💩 at each other, I do hope some volunteers would step up to 1)
guide WP community on improving name situation, and best approaches
according to OSM rules, 2) help with the development effort since WMF is
not interested, 3) help organize it all.  I could try to help with (2),
send me an email if interested.