What's funny is that this import was (according to the changeset
comment) based on "DigitalGlobe extracted building data". A straight up
import of the original building geometries would probably be (i) less
contentious (since a building is a building is a building), and (ii)
more accurate for calculating population figures (a use for building
data for humanitarian purposes) and (iii) better for OSM since lots of
buildings is better than landuse=residential polygons.

Sometimes people can try to be *too* clever. 🙂