On 16/08/2018 12:35, Rory McCann wrote:
What's funny is that this import was (according to the changeset
comment) based on "DigitalGlobe extracted building data". A straight up
import of the original building geometries would probably be (i) less
contentious (since a building is a building is a building)

I think the problem here is that "a building is a building is a building" isn't really true.  There are many different kinds of structures in many different parts of the world, and many different light conditions, and different ground surfaces.

We saw this problem with the Facebook "roads import" in Egypt - whatever software they were using was detected many sharp edges in imagery (walls, canals, etc.) as roads.  If you train whatever you're using to detect stuff in one environment and try and use it in another environment it's going to get things wrong in unpredictable ways, and that's not really going to be obvious if you then (as here) estimate residential areas based on extracted buildings.  I can, however, see the sense of trying to do that (estimate residential areas based on extracted buildings) - in some areas actual buildings are likely to be ephemeral, but usage of areas not so much.

Best Regards,

Andy