Michael, thanks for your comments!

The original searchbox functionality has been restored, sorry for the
delay.  See also some related requests to make it even more useful. [1]

I have made some changes to the OpenStreetMap:Wikibase wiki page - could
you take a look?  I would love your help in creating a better guide, so any
feedback, suggestions, and outlines of how it should be done are welcome.
Feel free to even sketch some page content and I will be happy to improve
it with details.

We had 18 wonderful contributors to the new data system in just over a
week, providing hundreds of improvements. This seems to indicate that 1)
there is significant interest, especially in providing translations, and 2)
editing is not extremely difficult.  That said, we certainly should make it
even easier to use.

You do have a point about the validation rules and wiki.  As a developer,
you can create and maintain them yourself. It does require a lot of work,
reduces the number of contributors, and has far less community oversight,
but it gives the developer full control over the rules. Wiki solves most of
it, but gives you less control.  I think one approach is to mix the two,
e.g. run a simple script to generate and store the rules file from the
wiki. Every time you regenerate that file, you will see all the changes,
but you won't have to create them yourself.  Plus all other developers will
be looking at the same data, so there is far better chance of spotting
issues early on.

(P.S. Michael sorry for the dup, i made a few minor changes)