On 29.09.18 00:46, Frederik Ramm wrote:
Hi,

On 28.09.2018 23:21, john whelan wrote:
Many cities have had their bus stops imported.
And even more cities have their bus stops mapped in the traditional
fashion, like, riding a bus and recording where it stops. It's amazing
how much you can do with one day pass :)

what else is needed to work it out?
[...]

2. The existence of a bus stop in OSM does not mean it is actually
served by a route; and the existence of a route in OSM that serves the
bus stop does not necessarily say what frequency - it could be the
school bus that only goes three times a day, or the night bus, or the
bus extension to the pool that only goes in summer.

Bye
Frederik

On this website one can see on the OSM map not only the locations of stops, but the positions of the public transportation vehicles themselves in real time. Here are the positions of the tram (light train) #28 in the city of Odessa: https://www.eway.in.ua/ru/cities/odesa/routes/1

It is very convenient as one does not have to wait at the stop but can leave home or office just in time to get on the tram. So no need to have too many vehicles on the route as one can comfortably plan the trip even if there are not many.

I think such dynamic real-time mapping is the future of public transportation and cartography in general, though I am not sure how it is implemented on this particular website. I assume they use GPS sensors. But how they transmit locations to the map's server constantly I am not sure.

Best regards,

Oleksiy