Solutions depend how big is your data.  Overpass count function might be the
solution if just a one shot calculation.  You would have a query for each type.

If you want to use the power of SQL databases, Sqlite is a «light solution»,
coupled with the DBeaver database tool.https://dbeaver.io/
I used to parse OSM xml with a Python script, but PostgreSQL + PosGIS offers
more long term development options like for the Quality analysis I did on
Building geometries
(https://opendatalabrdc.github.io/Blog/index.html#!Database_Quality_Analysis_Tasking_Manager.md).
  Osmosis (Osm2Pgsql schema) takes care to import OSM/Xml directly in a PostGIS
database. From there, quite easy to count, filter, analyze data.

Pierre

    Le samedi 29 septembre 2018 20 h 02 min 10 s HAE, john whelan