some pages will not work properly if accessed through https, although they
might work halfway (e.g. they have a valid certificate, but some content is
only available through http and browser will block it).

I can understand it is preferable to tag https protocol values, but I would
oppose an automated edit to do it.

Andy‘s idea to link archived versions is interesting, and I can imagine doing
it, although there is the question which archived version we link to (the last
one is often not the most extensive). And eventually on which service (although
I am only aware of archive.org at the moment).

Cheers, Martin