You could convert them all to centroids, points are a valid and
correct building mapping object type as well.

That would retain the key information, the location of the building,
not destroy his work and you end up with a correct map. (at least as
correct as satellite imagery and/or hand held gps points can generate)

I would try replace geometry as well to retain the history.

Cheers,
Blake