Hi,

> Is there any way to find answers other than sending a private message to
> the pseudonymous "Mapping Human" through MapRoulette?

This would be their OSM username. There is no internal messaging system in
MapRoulette, clicking the 'message' link would actually send you to the OSM
message screen.

> Is there even any quality control when people create new MapRoulette
> tasks? Or at least some sort of four-eyes principle? Or at least a
> transparency "best practice" that would lead to people explaining who
> they are, what they want to achieve with a certain task, how many tasks
> they're running and what instructions they are giving to users?

There is ample documentation on how to create challenges and best practices for
doing so, but as with all things OSM, it is up to the community to maintain
quality standards in mapping. I have reached out to the community before asking
for volunteers to help monitor new challenges, there was no interest then,
perhaps this is a good time to ask again? You can see the newest created
challenges using https://maproulette.org/browse/challenges?sort=created, there
is also an API call you can use. Drop me a line if you want some more guidance.

Martijn