Interesting! That sounds like a huge amount of work, if you are
validating every changeset in the globe, though so far there is no
schedule to release this frequently.

Thank you for following the Open Database license by releasing this to
the public.

Is facebook planning to create new planet files like this on a
frequent basis, for internal use? If so, those should be released to
the public on a regular schedule, if I understand the ODbL correctly.

Can I confirm that facebook is editing Openstreetmap data to fix the
errors which are found? Or is this only happening in some cases?

The diary post gave links that explain how this was made (both from
September 2019):
 - https://engineering.fb.com/ml-applications/mars/ "MaRS: How
Facebook keeps maps current and accurate"

"We calculate the absolute diff between the two OSM versions (from
option 1 above).
We then split this diff into a set of LoChas that can be individually
applied (from option 2)."
"At a high level, a map change is vetted by a reviewer,"

 -
https://2019.stateofthemap.us/program/sun/keepin-it-fresh-and-good-continuous-ingestion-of-osm-data-at-facebook.html
"“Keepin’ it fresh (and good)!” - Continuous Ingestion of OSM Data at
Facebook":

This is a video presentation, so I haven't seen it all, but the
abstract says: "we have created an automated ingestion and integrity
framework for OSM data that allows us to selectively update parts of
the map instead of doing a full snapshot change all at once.

"Decomposing a large set of changes in this way gives us the
flexibility to rapidly ingest our own additions to the map, focus on
geographical areas of importance to downstream products, and allows us
to quickly apply hotfixes whenever egregious problems do arise.

"With millions of tiny changes happening every week, we have created a
system that is built on per-feature approval and preprocessing, that
allows us to ingest changes at scale, while creating rules to
automatically process logical changesets and enforce integrity
constraints (e.g. anti-vandalism, anti-profanity etc.).

"Due to the contextual nature of some of the changes in OpenStreetMap,
the system combines Human Approval, necessary for highly visible
features such as names of large administrative areas, with Automated
AI/ML-based approval: for example, using computer vision techniques to
reconcile newly created features against satellite imagery ground
truth, or applying NLP techniques to determine whether other
user-visible string changes are sensible and valid. These components
are combined to create a continuous ingest-validate-deploy cycle for
OSM map data."

Lot's of buzz words there! But it sounds like it is a combination of
computer algorithms and human checking for vandalism and errors.

- Joseph Eisenberg