On 25/5/20 2:37 pm, Jack Armstrong wrote:

Greetings.

Recently, a user mapped “razed” railways inside a construction zone (link below). These rails had been removed by our local mappers since they don’t exist anymore. Using the latest imagery (Maxar), you can see the rails have been completely removed from “Project 70”, a $1.2 billion Denver-area transportation corridor construction project.

I think this mapper has good intentions, but what is the point of mapping something that does not exist? Doesn’t this clearly contradict the OSM Good Practice wiki in regards the sections, “Verifiability”, “Map what's on the ground” and “Don't map historic events and historic features”? The last section states, "*Do not map objects if they do not exist currently*."

Should we tag (invisible) razed sidewalks? Should we leave (invisible) destroyed buildings in place, tag them as razed and then create new buildings on top of them?

https://www.openstreetmap.org/edit#map=19/39.78016/-104.94562

Advise them to enter the historic railway into OHM ... or any historic object for that matter. This satisfies them that the object is mapped and frees OSM from it.