Andy,

If you would like something lightweight that just does GPS track recording, I
would recommend GPS Logger
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/GPS_Logger_for_Android
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/GPS_Logger_for_Android> . A nice bonus is
that you can have the app automatically upload your tracks to OSM in whatever
privacy mode you choose. It can also sync with Nextcloud, Dropbox etc.

OSMTracker offers a little more functionality like recording waypoints with
specific, configurable notes, and recording audio notes.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSMTracker_(Android)
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSMTracker_(Android)>

I’m not on Android right now but I’ve used both these OSS apps for years.

Martijn