I don't expect side loading to be a thing for very much longer. Given googles crack down on anything using location, see https://twitter.com/vespucci_editor/status/1331541328883298306 for some of the drama, it would seem to be silly to leave that avenue open. Definitely you are going to run in to problems as soon as you start building against more recent SDK.

Simon