Hi,

you are correct in all aspects, however in the spirit of friendly collaboration I would say that a limited amount of stuff-that-should-not-be-in-OSM can be *tolerated*. If someone does a lot of good work for OSM otherwise and would really like to record an ancient former railroad that ran through where their house now sits - I shrug and let them do it. Only if someone starts to make it their mission to map every ancient railroad in the country and/or create relations so that you can see where trains used to ride in 1848 is when I'll ask them to stop and find a better place for it.

In a non-railway context, the various "this does not exist any more" prefixes can have value if the object in question is still visible on aerial imagery - otherwise, if you simply delete the thing from OSM, someone else will draw it back in.

The wiki should definitely say that all these tags are meant for special situations and the existence of these tags is not a reason/excuse to map every vanished object there is.

I would stress "not adding more of this" over "removing the stuff that already is in OSM" though. I don't want a horde of self-appointed cleaners running through OSM "because the wiki says so".

Bye
Frederik