It depends on the requirements.  I think mapping from Bing imagery is quite
reasonable and that isn't done to 1 cm accuracy.

However as you point out there are other solutions and I'm not advocating
one specific solution merely that it exists.  If there is a requirement
that needs high accuracy then this might work.

Perhaps it needs a wiki entry to list the advantages and disadvantages of
different approaches.  Certainly locally imagery is much better than GPS
near tall buildings.

Another issue is if you have two things in the map one that has been mapped
with high accuracy and one not there isn't really anyway to tell which is
the high accuracy one.

Cheerio John