On 6/1/2015 9:45 AM, Michael Welzl wrote:

>> On 1. jun. 2015, at 16.32, Mirja Kühlewind <mirja.kuehlew...@tik.ee.ethz.ch>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Joe, hi Michael,
>>
>> I completely welcome to add more text to the Interface description section
>> (3.1.2). Currently this section is very short and says regarding the (higher
>> layer) interface described in FRC793:
>>
>> "A User/TCP Interface is defined in [RFC0793] providing six user
>>   commands: Open, Send, Receive, Close, Status.  This interface does
>>   not describe configuration of TCP options or parameters beside use of
>>   the PUSH and URGENT flags.“
>>
>> This text was already added based on Joe’s input. Please provide more text
>> if you think this is not sufficient.
>>
>> Probably we should at least add one more sentence describing the TCP-to-User
>> interface (as it is called in RFC 793) like this:
>>
>> „Further the TCP-to-User interface is described providing information on the
>> local connection name, the response string, the send and received buffer
>> addresses, the Byte count (which counts bytes received) as well as the PUSH
>> flag and URGENT flag.“
>
> I agree

My concern is that there is no clear relation between 3.1.2 and 3.1.3.

In fact, many of the properties of 3.1.3 are the result of the interface
mentioned in 3.1.2. Also, a few aspects of the 3.1.2 interface aren't
considered in 3.1.3.

So what's the point of 3.1.3?

>From the definition:
   Transport Protocol Component:  an implementation of a transport
      service feature within a protocol.

Unfortunately, the items in 3.1.3 aren't implementations; they're
general properties. An implementation would be Reno or CUBIC.

In addition, API isn't defined (e.g., see my previous 3 descriptions),
so it's never clear what should be in 3.1.2 (or the corresponding
sections of other protocols).

As a result, I do not understand the purpose of either section of this
document, or this document as a whole.

Joe