> On 05 Jun 2015, at 11:05, Michael Welzl <mich...@ifi.uio.no> wrote:
>

>> On 5. jun. 2015, at 10.12, Mirja Kühlewind <mirja.kuehlew...@tik.ee.ethz.ch>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Okay, just to quickly clarify. In the charter only the word service is used.
>> We defined later on the words component and feature which are currently not
>> reflected in the charter. The part I've cited below, I think, it should say
>> components. However, it does not really matter because we will in the
>> current document first identify components and then discuss features. In any
>> case this document will not define a new interface.
>
> I got that but I disagree about "it should say components" for the part in
> the charter: from the definition, the component is an implementation, not
> what is exposed to the application. I think the more important part is to
> capture what's exposed to the application. For example: SCTP has a component
> called "strong error detection (CRC32C)". TCP has a component called "error
> detection (checksum)". This is probably not exposed to the application as
> such by any of these protocols. I'll explain below why this makes it less
> important in my opinion...
>

>> I'd also say that this is not the flag ship document (as stated by Joe). The
>> flagship document probably is the third item on the charter which then will
>> probably also talk about the interface in more detail (charter says on the
>> third doc: "This document will explain how to select and engage an
>> appropriate protocol ...").
>
> Well, this first document is no less important, everything hinges on it.
>
> So let's think of the future system we're envisioning here. Is it going to
> provide "error detection" as a service? Is it going to provide "strong error
> detection"?
>
> When making these decisions, I think we'd first need to go through the list
> of things provided to applications by the protocols in what Joe calls the
> abstract API. Probably we won't find it there: it's a static property of the
> protocols AFAIK. So, next, we go through all the static properties to figure
> out what we need to expose. Then, the question becomes: should a TAPS system
> decide for or against SCTP based on the level of error protection? Is this a
> basis for deciding for this or the other protocol?
>
> These are important decisions but I think they are secondary, whereas what
> the protocols now explicitly offer is primary - because it would be very
> strange not to offer what is being offered today. We can decide to not expose
> "level of error protection" and give the TAPS more freedom in choosing the
> protocol; given that the goal is to stop connection applications to specific
> protocols, we CAN do that.
I consider "protecting against bit errors" a service. And I think the level is
important. I agree, TCP and SCTP provide
a protocol dependent level of protection, so there is no need to expose this in
the API of the particular protocol,
however, I do think someone wants a strong checksum or not, and that will
influence the choice of protocols.
So we do have services which are not configurable via the API.

Best regards
Michael