On 22/10/2015 15:14, Aaron Falk wrote:

    > draft-welzl-taps-transports currently only covers TCP and SCTP. But then:
how many other protocols?
    > It seems people agree that the protocols covered in
draft-welzl-taps-transports should be a subset of the protocols covered in
draft-ietf-taps-transports. My question is, then: how to choose the subset?

    > It seems obvious to include protocols that are seeing some deployment,
i.e. of course UDP, maybe UDP-Lite (?), but also MPTCP…
    > However: if that is the only decision ground, we probably wouldn’t
include DCCP. Are we then making a significant mistake, missing a lesson to be
learned?

    > That, to me, is a discussion I’d like to have in Yokohama.

    +1, and FWIW that's exactly the same starting point I got to on my own.

Any volunteers to kick off the lead the discussion?

<snip test on another draft>

So, I think UDP, and UDP-Lite *NEED* to be included. MPTCOP also.

On DCCP, this has many services being re-invented above. I think we have an interesting dilemma about whether to describe this, I suggest one of the reason for the minimal use of DCCP (DCCP/UDP) could well be the lack of a framework that allows this to be done without recoding an app. So, if we had such a framework *WHEN* DCCP/UDP was done, we may now have seen more usage.

--aaron

Gorry