> On Jul 23, 2019, at 11:19 AM, Theresa Enghardt <ther...@inet.tu-berlin.de>
> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> On 23/07/2019, 10:31, Tommy Pauly wrote:
>>> […] if you don't require reliability, then a UDP protocol stack is
>>> equivalent to a message protocol over TCP. If you do require
>>> reliability, then those aren't equivalent.
>
> Another important difference between TCP and UDP are Message Boundaries.
> So in some cases, TCP + Framer may be equivalent to UDP.

Exactly! That's what I meant by "a message protocol over TCP".

> We probably don't want to put that in the Architecture draft, but a
> Framer can essentially provide the "Message boundaries" property, thus,
> making TCP equivalent to UDP if Message boundaries are required, right?

Yes, I think that's already implicit in the text in Section 4.2.3, point 1. TCP
doesn't preserve boundaries on its own/if it's the top (but does if there's
another protocol that does).

> Maybe that's something for Implementation draft? But the application may
> also want to know about the possibility to essentially use TCP or UDP
> without having to change (much)? Thinking about DNS, even if there may
> be more stuff to consider here, such as the EDNS0 features Ted Hardie
> mentioned.

I agree that the implementation document is a more appropriate place to discuss
the particulars of which protocols can be determined to be equivalent.

Thanks,
Tommy