My experience is that everyone starts out with their own unique reason
and understanding, and one way or another, they fumble around, get
some ah ha moments, then stumble around some more, figure out some
things and keep on ..at it till they get where they want to be.

In workshops, so far, the best things for me is watching what the
instructor is doing, and being able to take it in and understand it.
Everyone is at a different place, folks don't know the same things
like a stepped reader in school, where one thing builds on another,
but have just their experience, their habits, hang ups, egos...know
one thing and not another.  I find I learn a lot from Sir Tater's
tabs, secrets, not short cuts....things I try to carry over into other
things I play.  My ear tricks me a lot, and dots do it until I know
the tune.

An instructor is there to share something, its up to the folks there
to find a way to take best advantage of the time, for their own
benefit and learning.  What about those old stories about the
demanding or difficult piano teachers/opera or dance teachers....and
what their students had to endure to be able to learn.  I pay for the
experience, the skill, its up to me to see and get the benefit, the
lesson, the missing bit.  Some very worthwhile instructors can and do
play hard ball, ..and they can because they have something to offer if
folks want to take notice and put up with them.

I don't really want any short cuts or tricks...but after a while, one
learns how to make something easier to do by how its approached with
the fingers, position on the fretboard, etc.  I think that happens
quicker when one is playing lots, and slower if one plays less,
because of exposure to the issues.

Just the other day...I saw a U Tube clip where the person mentioned
the flatted third...it was an ah ha moment here, but out there, maybe
most folks already know that.  Some folks are quick, others are slow,
but if we want it, its all work...and worth it.

One time I went to a Scottish Fiddle workshop, and it was all ear and
memory, a difficult area for me.  The person instructing asked me not
to play as my sound was confusing the issues for all those danged
fiddles.  I understand it now, as I saw/heard another mando player
doing the same thing recently.  At the time, I was mighty put out and
left rather grandly in a huff, I told her and all the others that not
only would I not play but I would not stick around either, and made my
exit with door slamming and all too. I was mortified .... it should
have been handled differently, but it wasn't.  I could not hear what I
was subjecting them to, I did not know or understand then, but I think
I do now.  She could have handled it differently, but it was a fair
sized group and she was likely stressed and not sure herself.

Its all part of the process I reckon.  Some are lucky...some are not.
I bet there are enough stories about mortification and music lessons
and recitals and all to fill a few encyclopedia sets, I personally
have at least 5.
<G>
linda.