Mike, you don't currently own a tenor?????  That is a disappointing
thing to hear and you need to remedy that right away!!!  There are
many nice tenors out there that are very affordable in terms of
vintage instruments. In my opinion, you can't beat the old 20s and 30s
Gibsons and the Martin O18T's from the 30s and 40s.

The tenor is a unique voice that I'm surprised more folks havent taken
seriously.  The range of the instrument is right between 6 string
guitar and violin/mandolin.  It is a very good complementary
instrument in a string band.  You just can't play it like a mandolin
as it lacks the percussion (though it has very different percussive
qualities that can be utilized).

I really love to play the tenor even though I only get to do it a few
times a year.  The fiddlin folks in Seattle with whom I play Texas
fiddle tunes are serious good tenor players as well, so we rotate it
around.  That is where I play it most.

Usually once or twice a year, I'll get into swing jams that already
have enough fiddle or mando players and I'll get it out.  It is a
wonderful swing instrument as well, you can get very nice jazz
phrasing out if it that often lacks on the double course instruments
due to the percussive attack of the notes.  When I play it, I
sometimes get the fifth transpositions mixed up in my head. If the
jazz is modern enough, my friends just think I'm playing
"outside"   :-)