I don't know Robin, but I suffer from the same thing. Way back when,
when I first met Mike at a workshop, he did his Monroe/Van Gogh
comparison, which completely floored me. That explained so much about
why I like certain artists. I too am only wowed by a small handful of
mando players but there are many other musicians--of various
instrumentation--that forcibly remove my socks. And I am absolutely
thankful for it... I can't go very long before I desperately need to
hear someone who can speak on that level of playing. It's an absolute
addiction... a drug.

Brian