On 14 January 2002 at 17:24 Anton wrote:

> In a good program, especially such as a mail client, every notorious
> question (simply put - every) should be carrying "don't ask this
> again" ckeckbox. Look at OE, for example, they realize that, and they
> are Microsoft!

> By the way, OE interface looks much smoother and cleaner than The
> Bat!'s.

"In a good program" has an ... interesting implication ;)

I agree, though; I hope that this sort of thing is coming up in
version 2. Apart from that issue (warn once, then turn off if needed)
there are some gross inconsistencies with warning and information
popups. My favourite is Options | Preferences | Applications; the
Associate ... button has no "yes, I've done it" popup but the ...
Simple MAPI ... button below it has a "yes, I've done it" popup.

Getting rid of this sort of inconsistency really requires someone to
spend a long time going through the program systematically testing
every control; it takes ages and is very boring ... but necessary.

OE looks and feels better because Microsoft has graphics artists and
user interface designers everywhere and _pours_ money into usability
testing. In addition, it controls the user interface standards so can
always deem what's "right" with everyone rushing to catch up.

Alastair