Hello CaLViN,

>> A bad idea, it could make multiuser setups much more complicated. Just
>> like in Mozilla it is ;).

> I'm not sure how this would make multiuser complicated. Every user can
> have his own complete directory, or only his won config files and
> mailbase. Since every user has his own desktop icons, every one can
> have his own shortcut to his install. This is much cleaner and easier
> to maintain then different registry setting.

I  think  about different users through different Windows profiles. In
this  case every profile has its own HKEY_CURRENT_USER branch in which
TB  stores it's settings. Thus TB doesn't require any additional steps
to   set   up   for   multiple  users  (except  for  applying  default
configuration  for  a  new user (if it's desired), which can be easily
done  by  mounting  NTUSER.DAT  file  from  "Default  user" profile in
Regedt32  and importing a .reg file. Frankly this would be even easier
if  TB  first  looked  for  config  in  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and then in
HKEY_CURRENT_USER, where the former one would have preference over the
first one.

With  separate files it's a bit troublesome when installing the system
and  setting up config for all the profiles of different people. I did
that with Operao once. And with Mozilla (some older version, something
around  1.0)  it  was  a  real  pain,  since  it  writes absolute path
somewhere  in  the  profile and it didn't work on my system, because I
have  roaming  profiles  moving  over  LAN, and on PDC (Primary Domain
Controller)  the  folder  for  user  profiles  is changed from default
c:\Documents and Settings to something else.

> Anyway, then make it an option. _I_ do need mobility, and not
> multi-user (if I did, I would give every user his own stick with The
> Bat). And the respones here show that some other people seem to be
> interested as well...

Yes,  this  is  a fair approach and has it's benefits. I've seen it in
Notetab  editor  and it worked very nicely. Only some things should be
thinked  about:  if  there are both registry and ini setting which one
should  have priority? Also how about when user changes his mind about
where to store configuration: it should be rewritten in new place, but
then should it also stay in the old place, but with a lower priority?

Regards,

--
 / Krzysztof Trybowski  pgp 0xE0F7733B /--/  To get my pgp key, put  /
/ www.thebat.i.krakow.pl  uin 4350719 /--/  "send_key" in subject.  /_

Using The Bat! 1.63 Beta/7 [reg] under Windows XP 5.1 build 2600.

 Current beta is 1.63b7 | "Using TBBETA" information: