Hi Peter,

@21-Dec-2003, 04:14 +0100 (21-Dec 03:14 UK time) Peter Ouwehand [PO]
in mid:[EMAIL PROTECTED] said to Marck:

MDP>> ... They have been built for a single specific user with a
MDP>> single specific problem to download to test a single specific
MDP>> amendment. ...

PO> So, there is some problem:

Problem?

PO> - it's not on the beta download site

Correct.

PO> - but still, people can find / download that specific version

Incorrect.

PO> - why?

It is only visible publicly now because someone has indiscreetly
shared a URL that should have remained private.

PO> - hence there are comments, what's wrong about that?

What's wrong is that the comments I replied to show a misconception
regarding the the way the software industry works WRT beta versions.
I was trying to set the record straight. You have now taken the
argument to "another place" it doesn't belong.

PO> Your comment is too simple.

Not at all. It is *entirely* accurate. Your comments are trying to
make an issue of something that is a non-issue.

It is black and white. Please refer to the TBBETA rules. It says
*very clearly* that:

,------/ From the rules of this list! \------
An  "officially  released"  beta  version  is  one  which  has  been
announced  *by  RITlabs*  on the TBBETA list, usually with a list of
changes.
`------\ End /------

Period. End of argument. My "too simple comment" is no more, no
less, than a rule enforcement. In future I shall do so with a trout
flavoured accompaniment :-).

PO> If it's meant for some specific use / problem / user,

... which it is ...

PO> then it should not be available to the 'general' public / beta
PO> testers / at any site.

It is not. It is on a private URL. It just so happens that RITLabs
put all test software on the one BETA source directory. But that's
an irrelevant coincidence. Unless they publish the URL to *you*, you
should not download the version.

PO> Appearantly it's not a beta version, otherwise it should be on
PO> the beta list.

Precisely the point I'm making. It shouldn't be mentioned here.

PO> So either it's an alpha or something between alpha and beta. Now
PO> how are we gonna call that in the future???

We are not going to call it anything in the future. Why? Because
it's none of our business. It is not the remit of this list to
discuss non-released beta or quasi-beta or alpha or pre-beta
(whatever you or RITlabs want to call them) versions. Since we're
not here to discuss them, we don't need to think up a name for them,
do we.

>>> Anyway, I believe the term "nonpublic betaversions, which are not
>>> finished and ready for testing" is a contradictio in terminis.

MDP>> Not at all.

PO> Just in opinion: there is no such thing as 'non public beta'.

Perhaps that may be true elsewhere. Not in my world. I am a software
developer too. Before I ship new beta versions to my beta team, we
thrash the changes in-house to make sure there are no howlers. If
I'm including a specific fix, I may pass a pre-release URL to the
affected user. Once I know the fix is good, I'll release a public
beta. This is all a part of the beta cycle of software. So, in my
business model there certainly are builds of the software that can
be classified as "non-public beta". They are beta builds, not for
public release.

While I respect your right to hold an opinion, I fail to see any
logic in it. Sorry.

-- 
Cheers -- .\\arck D Pearlstone -- List moderator
TB! v2.03.10 on Windows XP 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1
'

Attachment: pgp00000.pgp
Description: PGP signature

________________________________________________________
 Current beta is 2.03.10 | "Using TBBETA" information:
http://www.silverstones.com/thebat/TBUDLInfo.html

Reply via email to