On 2004-10-11 at 21:13:50 Maxim Masiutin wrote:

> Please make sure it is time-stamped as "11 October 2004" in the
> "Digital Signatures" tab. Sorry for inconv.

I just noticed that the previous MSI I downloaded was dated 2004-08-31
20:59 (my download manager always copies the timestamps from
webservers), so this was clearly an old one. :)

Doing a fresh download from the same URL now gives me a much more
recent file, the signature says: Monday, October 11, 2004 17:21:18.

I installed this MSI over my previous installation, which I did
cleanly, with the 3.0.1 RC6 MSI, and it seems to work okay.  However,
it doesn't really show anything about "upgrading" during the
installation, although it recognizes the directory in which I
installed The Bat previously (which is non-standard).

And of course, I end up with 2 Add/Remove entries:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{1E599622-0C67-4256-946D-56B8FB4A2723}
DisplayName: The Bat! (Professional Edition)
DisplayVersion: 3.0.1.26

(lots of other values, not needed to reproduce here), and:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{01CF4830-AC0C-454B-9A4D-BA1CD6FDD3CB}
DisplayName: The Bat! (Professional Edition)
DisplayVersion: 3.0.1.28

It seems writing a normal upgrade installer is extremely hard with
MSI, I see plenty of programs which simply require you to:
- First completely uninstall the previous version first
- Restart the whole system to be able to get rid of the last
  DLLs, etc held in use by various system components
- Do a fresh install of the new version, followed by...
- You guessed it, another reboot, to install yet more updated OS
  components. :)

I think that's just what I'll do now to get rid of my 2 uninstaller
entries...

Question: why can't you just use Inno Setup or NullSoft Installer,
like most sensible products do?  These are extremely lightweight,
robust and stable, come with full source, and run on allmost all
systems *WITHOUT* installing megabytes of Microsoft Installer
services.  And they are very easy to do seamless upgrades with. :)

 Current beta is 3.0.1 RC/7 | 'Using TBBETA' information: