On Wednesday, November 03, 2004 at 1:19:28 AM [GMT -0500], Keith
Russell wrote:

> I tried to send this using TB! several hours ago. In trying to
> determine why it hadn't showed up on the list, I found that the same
> thing happened as a couple of days ago: 30 copies of the message in
> the Outbox, all created one minute apart! So I'm back to using
> Thunderbird....

That's your server side outbox doing that. The messages are long but I
hope 9Val is reading to some extent to see that server-side Outboxes
still create problems for some people. I've tried it and see how quirky
it works.

 >> Sounds like you need to use those other clients then.

> :-) You keep saying that. I don't know whether you're being facetious,
> whether you're just tired of listening to me complain and trying to
> get rid of me ;-), or whether you're making a serious suggestion!

I'm not being facetious or anything. You had said you switched to IMAP
so that you could compose messages across locations. This requires
working Draft folder support which TB! doesn't have. If you wish to use
TB! for this, you need to put your Outbox server side and this is
causing a lot of problems for you where you can't send messages. That's
a showstopper. You're already using ThunderBird while testing and hoping
TB! will one day work for you so, you're already doing as I am suggesting. :)

>> The developers say that implementing a draft folder would be a very
>> involved task.

> Really? I missed that discussion. I wonder why that would be the case.

It has to do with the design. It would involve major code changes for
Draft folder functionality to be offered. AFAIK, they don't have any
foreseeable plan for this.

> :-) It's really not something I do a lot, either. I would just like to
> have it available. What I do do, though, is start writing a long
> message, get interrupted, and come back and finish with another
> client. Of course, if TB! were reliable enough to use all the time, I
> could stop doing that....

I see.

> :-) Not at all. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. I've actually done
> as much complaining on the Mulberry list as I've done here, due to all
> the time wasted on "Waiting for server", which once it starts,
> displays for ever active folder before you can do anything else.

Your connection to the IMAP server doesn't seem to be as good as you may
be thinking. Mulberry is my benchmark in a sense. If you're waiting a
long time for Mulberry, then your connection is likely to be slow. Is
your IMAP server one of your ISP's servers?

> It sounds that way, doesn't it? But get this...I actually just
> upgraded my DSL connection from 640 Kbps to 1.5 Mbps! That's what
> makes this whole thing especially frustrating.

That's what your connection is capable of, but that doesn't mean that's
the connection you're getting from the IMAP server. One way to check
would be to install a tool like DUMeter, that can show your connection
speed as you're working with the IMAP server.

At home I'm quite content with TB! since my IMAP server is on my home
LAN. Messages are routinely loaded nigh unto instantaneously and the
pauses are there but not ridiculously long. They're more a noted
annoyance than being really distressing.

I connect to my server from work. The connection is about 256KBps as
determined by my home DSL connection speed. I don't always get the
maximum throughput. In fact, maximum throughput is more an exception
than a rule. I average about half that speed. TB! at work behaves about
the same as you describe. I really doubt that you have a 1MBit/sec
connection to your IMAP server and are using it all.

> Yes, I need to learn to stop doing this. I get really frustrated and
> just can't help myself. :-(

The CC should be your friend. If there's an inordinately long pause,
check the CC to see what's happening.

If there are tasks in the queue including the one you're waiting on
(after a while you can understand the various items in the queue) then
clicking on another folder or message will not help. Wait a little, an
IMAP 'little' that is. ;) If there's still nothing happening, delete the
task at the top of the queue and see how that goes.

Unfortunately, at times, the connection to the server stalls. This
happens with ThunderBird but less often.

>> There will likely be a lag for you. When you hit delete, the request
>> is sent. When the server gets it and deletes the message, it's
>> correspondingly done locally.

> Yes, but again, I expect it to take a few seconds, and not a few
> minutes.

The delete request is a request like any other. If selecting a message
for reading is taking long for you, then a delete request may take long
as well.

>> Hit delete once and move on.

> But you keep saying not to click around! If I "move on" and click
> somewhere else, am I not just building up the task queue again?

In the case of delete, yes.

I mean, delete the message by hitting delete. That's a tiny request to
the server. You can move to another task like continuing to read
messages. The message will eventually disappear from the list. Try
it. When you experience this, you'll believe it. :)

>> I'd suggest not using the betas. Their IMAP performance is actually
>> worse than the last full release. We may have sound notification and
>> broken auto-filtering, but performance has gone in reverse for now.

> Interesting. This is the first time I've heard you say this.

I should have mentioned it earlier. Sorry.

> Lest I be accused of unfairly praising Thunderbird to an extreme, it
> isn't perfect, either. After I posted my message last night, I tried
> to read two messages in my inbox and couldn't get the body to download
> for either one. :-)

Don't worry. I know exactly where you're coming from. When I started
using IMAP with TB!, my needs completely degenerated to those of the
basic kind. I wanted to be able to simply read and send my mail in
peace. If I can't do this, suddenly templates and all the fancy features
become useless or irrelevant. ThunderBird makes you able to read and
send mail without hassle. It's very attractive for this reason and was
my saviour at work for a while. You can depend on ThunderBird to work
under the most difficult of IMAP circumstances.

--
-= Allie =-
..... Don't believe everything you hear or anything you say.

 Current beta is 3.0.2.4 Rush | 'Using TBBETA' information: