Allie Martin wrote:

the same
thing happened as a couple of days ago: 30 copies of the message in
the Outbox, all created one minute apart! So I'm back to using
Thunderbird....

That's your server side outbox doing that.

So is the solution to just uncheck "Outbox:" under Mail Management/IMAP Options?

The messages are long but I
hope 9Val is reading to some extent to see that server-side Outboxes
still create problems for some people. I've tried it and see how quirky
it works.

I've been a little disappointed that Valera hasn't shown up here. I'd be very interested in seeing what he has to say about these issues. I do understand how busy he is, though.

Your connection to the IMAP server doesn't seem to be as good as you may
be thinking. Mulberry is my benchmark in a sense. If you're waiting a
long time for Mulberry, then your connection is likely to be slow. Is
your IMAP server one of your ISP's servers?

The key phrase is "you MAY be thinking". I'm actually convinced that the connection is very slow, for whatever reason. MailSnare's server is the one I'm having the problems with, not my ISP's. I've been communicating back and forth with MailSnare support for months, including sending them logs and trying to get them together with Cyrus Daboo to try to determine what's going on. They emailed me recently that they had made some changes to there Cyrus IMAP server software, but that unfortunately didn't help, either.

That's what your connection is capable of, but that doesn't mean that's
the connection you're getting from the IMAP server.

Of course. One never gets the rated speeds, regardless of the task.

One way to check
would be to install a tool like DUMeter, that can show your connection
speed as you're working with the IMAP server.

Excellent suggestion. I've been a registered owner of DU Meter for years, but hadn't gotten around to reinstalling it since my last OS reinstall. I have now, though, and it's currently running.

I know exactly where you're coming from. When I started
using IMAP with TB!, my needs completely degenerated to those of the
basic kind. I wanted to be able to simply read and send my mail in
peace. If I can't do this, suddenly templates and all the fancy features
become useless or irrelevant. ThunderBird makes you able to read and
send mail without hassle. It's very attractive for this reason and was
my saviour at work for a while. You can depend on ThunderBird to work
under the most difficult of IMAP circumstances.

This is a perfectly clear and accurate description of the situation--exactly how I feel about the whole thing.

Thanks again.

--
Keith

Current beta is 3.0.2.4 Rush | 'Using TBBETA' information: