Hello P.Johnson,

Friday, November 26, 2004, 12:33:21 PM, P.Johnson wrote:

> I can't help but suspect some kind of SP2 conflict...

This maybe a good guess, however I run TB with BayesIt on WinXP Pro
SP2 and have no problem.  IIRC you transferred all files over from old
computer which had a funky folder structure.  So I suspect that you
may have some of the old file structure which could contribute to the
problem. When I purchased v3 I did a clean install, and if I recall
some things worked differently from the beta.

> Mary what I may end up doing, if I don't jump to another mail program,
> is installing my old hard drive into my new machine as a back up,but
> will keep the OS and maybe run TB! from there, if it isn't too
> impractical to do so.

Before going to a new mail program what I would do is remove TB from
the new computer and do a clean install on it with the latest release
file from Ritlabs. When I say remove I would remove everything in the
registry and all program files EXCEPT those under the 'Mail'
directory. This way you could preserve your mail database with the new
install. Make sure you have your v3 registry key email saved to a text
file, so you can get to it without using TB.

You may want to do a complete folder maintenance followed up by a
complete backup within TB using its backup before going through this
procedure.  Other thing you can do is use WinRAR batch file to do
backup of 'Mail' directory or do it manually.

In order:

1)  Copy 'Mail' folder and all subdirectories someplace for save
    keeping.

2)  In Admin account open 'Control Panel', then 'Add or Remove
    Programs'. If you do NOT have TB in list of programs, then you
    must
    have installed from WinRar (or other compressed file including
    registry), and see note below.  If TB is in list of programs, then
    chose 'TB' | click 'change' | Next | select remove | click next
    button | select 'keep the working directory and all data files' |
    click remove button.  This should remove TB from the registry and
    leave the 'Mail' directory in tact.

    Note: To remove TB when not in list of files in 'Add or Remove
    Programs' click Start | Run | type 'regedit' | at top of key
    structure do a find (Ctrl+F) and type in 'RIT' and make sure all
    options are chosen with 'Match whole string only' and hit enter.
    You
    should be at the 'RIT' key so right mouse click and select
    'delete'.
    For safe keeping hit the F3 key which should continue search to
    make
    sure no other 'RIT' exists which should not.  You now have TB out
    of
    the registry, so close the registry editor.

3)  download the latest TB install file and have your v3 registry key
    ready.  You may want to reboot here before going through the clean
    install.

4)  When you open TB for the 1st time you will get the 'Directories
    setup' so you want to choose 'User-defined directory' and put the
    directory where you want it to be.  If it isn't the same as
    and subdirectories to the location desired.  If the Mail base is
    going to accessed by different users of the PC, it will be
    important that all users have rights to this directory if it is on
    a NTFS partition.  If you leave the default, then you are chosing
    a configuratin which only the one user will have access too on a
    NTFS partition.

5)  I would choose 'I want to create a new account' here and put the
    exact name of the old accounts under the 'Mail' directory.  This
    way TB will see all the old configuration files so you won't have
    to do anything other than type in all the old account names and
    click next through the rest of the configuration.  You might even
    want to use Windows Exlorer to copy the account names from the
    'Address' field in Explorer if you have more than 1.  Simply
    choose Account | New and go through the same procedure.

    Note: I didn't chose from a TB backup because my memory tells me
    that the registry is included so by using complete backup it
    technically is not a comlpletely clean install.

6)  Use registry key to register TB and see if TB works now.  If it
    doesn't you can shoot me.  :-)

--
Best Regards,
Greg Strong

Using The Bat! v3.0.2.8 on Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2

 Current beta is 3.0.2.8 Rush | 'Using TBBETA' information: