Hello Gonçalo!

On Saturday, December 4, 2004 at 10:31:25 AM you wrote:

> Well,  if I recall correctly, I purchase this software, I did not rent
> or leased it.

And?

Every single sw I know using the subscription model (like
BreezeBrowser after April 2003) don't stop functioning after the
subscription period; you just don't have any rights to further fixes
and upgrades.

Is it fair to expect sw developers to get paid once but then provide
unlimited fixes and upgrades?

> I  personally prefer those kind of softwares where you buy it once and
> get   a   license   for  every  future  version.  I  purchased several
> softwares in this category.

Which is exactly what I meant: Fair is it only when I pay a small
amount and get everything I want.

Yes, I do use sw like that, too, incl. my version of BreezeBrowser,
which came out before Chris Breeze changed the payment model. I also
use - if the application is worth it to me - subscription sw like
F-Secure.

Especially the last one can be defined as "unfair" since it will work
after one year but cannot use new virus signatures (as told to me by
their support). I actually don't think it is unfair to ask for new
payment.

BTW, my NG membership has to be renewed by paying up when one year (or
two years, depending on your payment options) is over.

> In  the  category  of those that must be 're-purchased' TheBat, TheBat
> Private  Disk, among others. I bought this ones, because the price was
> fair  but  I'm  not  going  to  pay annual fees for sure. I would more
> easily go back to AK-Mail.

Currently TB does not use subscription, and as I wrote above, you
won't have to "re-purchase" (at least I don't think RL is thinking
along lines of expiration codes) to use an existing (and purchased!)
copy. Just for upgrades.

--
Dierk Haasis
:Dierk: Copy 'n' Concept

The Bat 3.0.2.10 on Windows XP 5.1 2600 Service Pack 2

Chat info for ICQ, AIM, MSN, Yahoo, Jabber upon request

If it don't kill you, it just makes you stronger.