LG> Hi Goncalo,

LG> On Sun, 27 Feb 2005, at 14:07:07 [GMT +0000] (which was 7:07 AM where
LG> I live) you wrote:

GF>> I'm sure you manage to get a better justification!

LG> Let's expound a bit on this though Goncalo. Why exactly is it that
LG> IE  is  so  vulnerable in so many ways? It's because IE, like many
LG> other  Microsoft  products,  tries to do it all. Well, that's only
LG> part   of  the  reason,  they  try  to  integrate  so  much  cross
LG> application  functionality  is  a  better  answer.  They  did this
LG> because  users  wanted  this  and  users  wanted that. They did it
LG> because  Microsoft  wanted  a  bigger market share. They wanted to
LG> dominate. They wanted to be able to do it all.

I  disagree.  It's  vulnerable because MS was unable to anticipate the
misuse  of  the  technology they were providing. Now they made it more
secure  (not  perfectly secure) without cutting down the functionality
that people had.

LG> But  they screwed up. Users began to realize that functionality at
LG> the  cost of security wasn't acceptable. Microsoft won the browser
LG> war, but it was a short lived win. What good are the spoils of war
LG> if they really are spoiled and tainted.

Power comes at a cost. It's not acceptable to have limits because some
people   just  don't  know  any better. The car makers don't put speed
limits  in their cars because they might be bought by some lame driver
that may kill himself.

LG> Now  granted. IE made their primary mistake because everything was
LG> "on"  by  default.  But  my point is that Microsoft gave the users
LG> what  they  wanted  without  ever  trying  to tell them why it was
LG> risky.  The internet used to be a wonderful place, now you have to
LG> check, double-check and triple check just about everything you do.
LG> Popups  were  a  great  idea  at  first.  A  nice  way  to display
LG> information  without  disrupting the flow of the visitors browsing
LG> of their main site. Now we have a whole box of bandaids to prevent
LG> popups.

MS didn't realize how their technology could be misused...

LG> What  I'm  getting at is that the populace in general needs people
LG> like  Tony  and  Paul  and myself to try and keep the sanity. Most

Pleeeease...

LG> people  on  this  list  are  more  tech savvy than the rest of the
LG> population,  and  for every user we have here on the list, we have
LG> 20 that aren't. People who won't know why enabling the download of
LG> images  can  be  a  Bad Thing (tm), or why clicking the "Go to our
LG> website to validate your bank account" links almost never take you
LG> to  your  bank, or why Nigerian scams are just that, scams. People
LG> are  *still*  getting sucked into those scams. How long have those
LG> been around? Forever. But they still get people.

Make an easy mode for 'rookie' users and a Power mode for power users.

LG> People talk about applications nannying them. I agree, for us, the
LG> people  in  the know, hate it. I hate it. But you tell me a viable
LG> way to protect those not in the know and I'll go along with it.

You  don't really convince me that you hate that. In fact, you seem to
like  it alot.

I  like  to be able to do everything and then choose what I don't want
to do just because I want to not because I can't.

LG> People  in  general  do  need  to be protected from themselves. It
LG> makes  it rough on those of us in the know, but if it means my mom
LG> and  dad are protected I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of so-called
LG> "functionality" to do that.

I  disagree.  That sort of speak is good for the "big brother watching
you".

Goncalo Farias

Editing is a rewording activity.

 Current beta is 3.0.9.1 Deep Alpha | 'Using TBBETA' information: